Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Rainbow Joy

Time for another Muse: Christmas Visions challenge card cue...





As some of you may know, I knit little somethings (dish cloths, scarves etc) just about every night while in front of the television.  I came across this fun rainbow yarn that I love and decided to incorporate it into a Christmas card.  I made a template of a tree outline with some leftover plastic packaging by taping some graph paper to the back of the plastic and marked where I wanted to have my "branches".  Here is a photo of that...a very primitively engineered template!


To start my cards, I used an Avery Elle die cut for my dotted frame that I cut from black card stock and white heat embossed my sentiment, Wishing you.  I then placed my template over the black panel and proceeded to pierce the little holes with a piercing tool, creating my tree outline.  Now comes the fun part.  I used a large embroidery needle and threaded it with my yarn and went across from back to front repeatedly until I had my rainbow tree.  
I could have also done this with repeated line stamps in different colors through a triangular open mask had I wanted to stamp the tree image.
My Joy and star shapes were cut from watercolor card twice and glued together, then, I die cut a third one from a sparkling silver paper and layered on top.  I ended up making a dozen of these in three different color combos.  


I hope that your Christmas cards are coming along, or, if you are just getting to it, know that you still have lots of time to create :)
Will you make a rainbow holiday card?  I can't wait to see how you might be inspired and I would love to see you in the gallery!
Thanks for peeking in today!
Chriss





11 comments:

  1. Such a fun Muse card. I love non-traditional colours for Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chriss, this is so clever and modern! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one cool card! Too bad that I am traveling,I would have loved to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply fabulous....so in love with your rainbow stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful cards! Simple but striking design, and using up your yarn scraps at the same time--brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa - you rock, girl! That is one incredible stash of Christmas cards. What a great idea to use the rainbow yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they are lovely!! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool and wonderfully contemporary, Chriss ... it's brilliant ... love the rainbow ... adore all that delicious texture ... I just want to touch! Hugs & bisous, mon amie, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, not just one inspiring card, but a dozen! Beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With my crazy week, I don't think I'll make it in the challenge, Chriss, but I just had to stop and tell you how amazing this knitted rainbow Christmas card is!! You are a clever and very talented crafty girl!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peek and leaving a comment :)